Deschutes National Forest has partnered with High Desert Education Service District to set up a School Engagement Fund to support field trips to local public lands and outdoor sites and programs. Teachers from Bend-La Pine, Crook County, Redmond, Sisters, Madras, and Culver School Districts can apply for the following purposes:
1. Transportation fees (bussing) for field experiences for students
2. Substitute fees associated with field experiences for students
Field experiences can be offered through local organizations such as High Desert Museum, Discover Your Forest, Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, The Environmental Center, Sunriver Nature Center, or Trout Unlimited or be self-taught by teachers.
Before applying, follow this step-by-step process:
1. Decide what field trip you would like to attend. You can see a full list of programs offered in Central Oregon here.
2. Contact the organization to schedule the trip.
3. Contact your district’s transportation department to reserve a bus and get a quote for bussing costs.
4. Fill out the School Engagement Fund application to request funds for your field trip.
5. You will hear back within 1-2 weeks regarding your request.
We have a limited amount of funds, but we do our best to approve most requests. We prioritize field trips that: (1) are for Title I schools, (2) include all special education and life skills students, and (3) are aligned with grade level science standards. Schools may apply more than once per year, and additional trips will be considered if funds are available.
For questions, contact: Kelly Sullins, Administrative Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org