Deschutes National Forest has partnered with High Desert Education Service District to set up a School Engagement Fund to support field trips to local public lands and outdoor sites and programs. Teachers from Bend-La Pine, Crook County, Redmond, Sisters, Madras, and Culver School Districts can apply for the following purposes:
1. Transportation fees (bussing) for field experiences for students
2. Substitute fees associated with field experiences for students
Field experiences can be offered through local organizations such as High Desert Museum, Discover Your Forest, Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, The Environmental Center, Sunriver Nature Center, or Trout Unlimited or be self-taught by teachers.
Before applying, follow this step-by-step process:
1. Decide what field trip you would like to attend. You can see a full list of programs offered in Central Oregon here.
2. Contact the organization to schedule the trip.
3. Contact your district’s transportation department to reserve a bus and get a quote for bussing costs.
4. Fill out the School Engagement Fund application to request funds for your field trip. We will not approve requests without a quote from your transportation department.
5. You will hear back within 1-2 weeks regarding your request.
NEW in 2017-2018: Due to the growing number of requests and limited amount of funds, we will use the following system as a guideline for approvals.
For questions, contact: Kelly Sullins, Administrative Assistant, email@example.com