Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests have partnered with High Desert Education Service District to set up a School Engagement Fund to support field trips to local public lands and outdoor sites and programs. Teachers from Bend-La Pine, Crook County, Redmond, Sisters, Madras, and Culver School Districts can apply for the following purposes:
1. Transportation fees (bussing) for field experiences for students
2. Substitute fees associated with field experiences for students
Field experiences can be offered through local organizations such as High Desert Museum, Discover Your Forest, Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, The Environmental Center, Sunriver Nature Center, or Trout Unlimited, or be self-taught by teachers.
Before applying, follow this step-by-step process:
1. Decide what field trip you would like to attend. You can see a full list of programs offered in Central Oregon here.
2. Contact the organization to schedule the trip. Confirm the date and location of your trip.
3. Contact your district’s transportation department to reserve a bus and get a quote for bussing costs.
4. Fill out the School Engagement Fund application to request funds for your field trip at least 30 days prior to your trip. We will not approve requests without a quote from your transportation department.
5. You will hear back within 1-2 weeks regarding your request.
NEW in 2019-2020: Due to the growing number of requests and limited amount of funds, we will use the following system as a guideline for approvals. Application doesn’t guarantee funding.
0-25% F&R = 1 trip or $150 per grade level per year (whichever is lower)
25-50% F&R = 2 trips or $200 per grade level per year (whichever is lower)
50-100% F&R = 3 trips or $300 per grade level per year (whichever is lower)
Middle School/High School (for groups larger than 60)
0-25% F&R = $400 per grade level per year
25-50% F&R = $600 per grade level per year
50-100% F&R = $1,000 per grade level per year
Middle School/High School (for groups smaller than 60)
0-25% F&R = $200 per grade level per year
25-50% F&R = $300 per grade level per year
50-100% F&R = $500 per grade level per year
For questions, contact: Kelly Sullins, Administrative Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org